As of 8/26/2006 the SVN is no longer availible for everyone to download from. Please use the link in the side bar to access the zip files instead.
SVN what is it and why do I care?
Most ace addons are stored in what is referred to as SVN. SVN is a code version management system. Simply put it allows developers to put their code, in this case wow addons, in a common place and allows multiple people to work on the same code. In other words more than one person might be helping write your favorite addon. OK so SVN is good for the addon coders but why should you the user care about it? The simple answer is it gives you a one stop simple method of downloading and installing all of your ace addons. In just a couple clicks of the mouse I can update all of my 40+ ace addons I’m currently using as of the time I wrote this. No more hunting around the net trying to remember whey I got addons XYZ from. No more guessing if the a new version of an addon came out yet or not. I now update my addons just about every day, after all it only take a couple of minutes.
So how does it work?
First you’ll need to download a SVN client. A SVN client is a piece of software that will do all the work for you downloading all the latest addons for you. Here are three common SVN clients. Personaly I use TortoiseSVN so in the rest of this article that is what we’ll be using.
- TortoiseSVN (Windows only. The command line SVN client is cross platform)
- SmartSVN (Windows, OSX, *nix. A full client)
- RapidSVN (Windows, OSX, Linux. A full cilent)
Once TortoiseSVN is installed it adds additional options when you right click on something in the windows file explorer.
Lets get the latest copy of Clique a click casting addon.
- Start -> My Computer — First we need to browse to our wow/interface/addon dir. So go find your addon dir and open it up.
- Right Click in the Addon folder and create a new directory for Clique to go in. It’s important to name it the same as the addon name so in this case we need to create an directory in the addon folder called ‘Clique’.
- Right click on the new Clique folder and select SVN Checkout.
- Enter http://svn.wowace.com/root/trunk/Clique into the URL of repository: text box. Uncheck both check boxes and select the HEAD revision and then click OK.
- Click OK and let TortoiseSVN do all the work for you.
- Once done your new Clique addon will be all ready to go and you’ll also have a little green check-mark of the Clique directory. This lets you know that this is a SVN directory.
Ok so we now have our Ace Addons but how do we keep them updated.
If you followed the above steps I said keeping your addons updates was a simple matter of a few mouse clicks so lets give it a go.
- We need to go to our addo on dir again.
- Now we simple right click on our Clique folder with the nice little green check-mark and select SVN Update.
- And that’s it. You’ll get the exact same progress box you got when you first did the SVN Checkout above only this time it will show the files it’s updating.